(Ages 3 to 11)
Classes begin on September 22, 2019 and end on May 17, 2020
There is no tuition or registration fee to enroll a child in our Church School or Youth Program. This is a ministry of the congregation staffed by adult volunteers who are answering calls to teach and mentor children, and who are trained in safe church practices.
In our Church School classrooms we honor and nurture the relationship children already have with God. We do this by helping them learn
- Stories from scripture
- How to participate actively in the worship life of the Episcopal Church
- What it feels like to be a gathered community of faith
- How to put faith into action in service to those in need
Pre-K-Grade 1: Godly Play
We introduce our 3 to 6-year-olds to the Church School program in our two Godly Play rooms. Developed by an Episcopal priest over 30 years ago, this teaching methodology taps into young children’s natural curiosity about God. Sitting in a circle on the floor, adults and children play with sacred stories, parables, liturgical actions, and practice holy silence together.
Scope & Sequence 2016-2017
- Fall: Circle of the Church Year, followed by 6 Old Testament stories
- Advent: Journeying with the Prophets, the Holy Family, the Shepherds & the Magi
- Epiphany: Parables
- Lent: The Mystery of Easter; Faces of Easter; The Story of the Easter Eggs
3, 4 & 5 year olds
- Eastertide: Knowing Jesus in New Ways
6 year olds
- Eastertide: The Greatest Parable
Grades 2-5: Workshop Cycles
With children ages 7 to 11 we use Workshop Cycles (developed by Leader Resources) or design our own lessons to explore scripture and life in the church. We invite learners to linger with a story or concept for a few weeks, using different learning approaches. Children and their teachers create art and music, engage in drama and storytelling, use computers, watch movies – even cook together!
Scope & Sequence 2017-2018
- Early fall: Samuel, the boy who listened to God
- Advent: Be alert, shepherds!
- Epiphany: The Beatitudes
- Lent: Service Project and Study
- Eastertide: Body of Christ
Contact email@example.com, Children, Youth and Family Minister for more information.